Monday, June 6, 2011

Following the Rules

If I could prepare what to write ahead of time then my blogs would be more clear to readers.  Bare with me if you are just reading one of my blogs for the first time because I have not written one draft or two first.  I remember in school that is the way we turned in a paper even in college.  I'm glad for the rough drafts and corrections because it does make a better final paper and that was satisfying. 

I used to get A's and B's on my papers, and essays etc.  I like to write and when I discovered blogging note pads and pens went out in the trash for the most part and if I was an organized person my blogs would be a steadfast activity.  I've always loved deadlines and solo projects.  Working as a team seemed to slow me down a lot and tired me out faster but I didn't let that stop me from reading books on teamwork and working my best as a team.

Serving at this weekends wedding was phenominal.  The crisp hype in the air as the red and white silk clashed over the banquet room musically set the linens and silverware.  The uncertainty of the crowd tonite from last weekends wedding reception put a rumbling ache in the pit of my stomach.  The large airplane size fan in the kitchen blew loudly and hard as usual in the spot where the servers like to huddle. 

My small styrophone cup of coffee was my only comfort that evening.  Reading the nights layout plans that our manager arranged for us taped up on the larger cooler was the routine of three tables set up per server to clean, organize, and serve to while clean up duties filled the bottom of the page.  That night I had bathrooms and that was fine with me since it was a chance at the end to get quiet time from the roaring dance floor vibes, and drunken laughter. 

Appetizer time came along and the nerves in my stomach were clenching at all the choas in the kitchen.  The cloud of the excitement brought me into the crowd with all you really need which is a smile and a few words, "Would you care for a pizza sample?"  I never seen so many small appitizer trays go out that fast and as I begin to slow down matters got worse.  I began to pick at the left over pine apple fresh in the left over bowl while waiting on the chefs to serve my next pizza tray to walk around with in the banquet hall.  Then I became tongue-tied with the chef who has very kind eyes and a graceful manner about himself and my nerves strangled my neck and I begin picking at the potato chips they made.

Rule: No server can eat until after all the guests of each wedding is served.  

No comments:

Post a Comment